Music Spotlight (Sunday, July 25, 2021)

HYMNS


#840 "It Is Well With My Soul" (VILLE DU HAVRE)

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way..." With this hymn comes one of the most heartrending stories in the annals of hymnody. The author, an active Presbyterian layman who had just lost four daughters in a tragic shipwreck, wrote it while sailing to Paris to meet his wife, who had survived. The tune was named for the ship that sank... READ MORE

#345 "In An Age of Twisted Values" (CHURCH UNITED)

One of the ways Christians can show firm allegiance to the country where they live and express care for its well-being is to ensure that they are mindful of the broad range of human needs within that society. This hymn is a strong reminder of the values that need such attention... READ MORE

#542 "God Be with You Till We Meet Again" (GOD BE WITH YOU)

After writing the first stanza of his "Christian Good-bye," the author sent it to two composers, one celebrated and one unknown, to see how each would set it. This is the second person's tune, which the author found more effective and used for the hymn's first publication... READ MORE


PRAYER RESPONSE

"Hear Our Prayer"

Our musical prayer response is pulled from Jorge Lockward's hymn, "Perdon, Senor," published in 1995 (found in Glory to God, #431). We are using new text with the existing refrain. This cyclical piece of music is meant to guide a congregation into deep prayerful meditation...


OTHER SPECIAL MUSIC

"Mwen Adore w' Jezi" by James Smith Alcindor

Our One and Done Choir will sing this 2010 worship and praise song in the original Haitian Creole language. See below for a translation into English.

I know you’re the Son of God,

The King of Kings,

And Yahweh.

I know you’re El Shaddai,

Jehovah God,

And Adonai.


And I worship you, 

I worship you, 

I worship you, O God.

And I worship you, 

I worship you,

I worship you, O God.


You are the first and the last,

Alpha and Omega,

Light of Judah,

The great “I am.”

"Change My Heart, O God" by Eddie Espinosa

“The year was 1982. I had been a Christian since 1969, but I saw a lot of things in my life that needed to be discarded. I had slowly become very complacent. I acknowledged my complacency, and I prayed to the Lord, ‘The only way that I can follow you is for you to change my appetite, the things that draw me away. You must change my heart!’” READ MORE

Today, we are making this hymn (Glory to God #695) trilingual! The refrain, written in English and Spanish originally, will be sung in Haitian Creole, to speak warm welcome to our La Gonave visitors. 

Chanje kè m’ Senyè (Change my heart, O God),
Ban m’ yon kè sensè (Make it ever true).
Chanje kè m’ Senyè (Change my heart, O God),
Fè m’ sanble ak ou (May I be like you).

Comments